A top global hotel chain and a leader in Europe, Accor is present in 90 countries with over 145,000 affiliates. With 4,100 hotels and close to 500,000 rooms, the group's various brands offer several options to suit their guests during theirs stays, should they be traveling for business or pleasure.
Over 5,000 opinions are published each month about Accor's different brands on sites like Booking.com or Tripadvisor. In a period of economic recession, Accor decided to focus on customer satisfaction and quality of service as an effective and cost-efficient way to help increase the bottom line.
The company approached Synthesio with a desire to:
1: Establish one centralized platform to learn what customers are saying about both Accor's and competitor's hotels - a total of around 12,000 hotels worldwide.
2: Provide hoteliers with an in-depth monitoring platform to understand their specific hotel's strengths and weaknesses, and establish guidelines for taking action on social media content.
For Yves Lecret, Novotel's marketing director in France, the main goal was being able to "identify the root of a problem at its source, in order to be able to fix it as quickly as possible".
Synthesio created a hybrid tool & human-analysis approach specifically designed for tracking the online reputation of 12,000 of Accor's and competitors' hotels worldwide within 8 languages, aimed towards marketing and operations directors for each of the different brands.
Three customized approaches were created to cater to various levels within Accor's enterprise:
- Corporate Marketing: 1 global dashboard with all online data pertaining to all Accor and competitor brands worldwide.
- Brand Marketing & Operations Directors per Country: 40 dashboards with country-specific data for all Accor and competitor hotels.
- Hoteliers: 4,000+ dashboards with detailed data within over 30 topics & subtopics of concern - such as pricing, comfort, etc. - for each individual Accor hotel and its top competing hotels located within the geographic vicinity.
Working in coordination with the corporate marketing team, Synthesio's system accurately analyzes Internet user satisfaction at each step of a guest's stay. Synthesio's results are then cross-analyzed with other internal indicators of quality such as online customer satisfaction surveys and field tests.
Yves Lecret says that he greatly appreciates the complementarity of these tools, which analyze guest satisfaction across a wide variety of outlets. Their guest questionnaire makes it possible to quickly detect and correct sources of dissatisfaction while Synthesio's analysis of unstructured data offers a more global view of the brand's online reputation.
Accor traditionally listened to customers through channels they control: in-room feedback forms, surveys, focus groups, calls into our own call centers, and customer correspondence. However, they knew that customer feedback from these direct channels was only part of the picture. The advances of the social web and the ease with which guests can leave their opinions online, share with others, and consult others' opinions, have all greatly increased the importance of social media in their marketing, communication, and customer service strategies.
Within the Accor group, the Novotel brand has seen numerous benefits resulting from their global web monitoring and analysis including:
- Improved Reputation & Customer Satisfaction: The volume of positive feedback has increased by 55% in just 1 year, while the number of negative comments has stagnated.
- Increased Sales: The improved reputation and satisfaction have played a vital role in their double-digit growth in online sales.
- Rapid Detection of Problem Hotels: Identifying hotels with bad reputation and alerting hoteliers of the importance of customer satisfaction, while establishing company-wide processes for improvement.
- Rapid Insight into Strengths & Weaknesses: Accor has direct access to the latest data, empowering them with the ability to understand at a glance the levels of negative and positive comments within each hotel and each category such as price, comfort, etc.
- Better Understanding of the Market: Accor has been able to utilize the analyzed data to extract valuable insight into their consumers' psyche - likes, dislikes, wants and needs - with regards to each hotel, and quickly identify and resolve customer issues, which used to take far longer to understand, if at all. One example Yves Lecret gave was: "we identified a problem with guests' room keys being de-magnetized by their smartphones. We reported this problem to our supplier who was able to make the technical changes necessary to correct this issue."
- Internal Incentive Programs: Thanks to Synthesio's continuing flow of online public banter, Accor has been able to set up a rewards system and training program, educating hoteliers on the importance of customer satisfaction, and encouraging each hotel to engage in online conversations with their consumers to improve their reputation.
2008 to present
Overall Rating: (17 votes)
Reviewed April 11, 2013 by rosieReport Inappropriate Review
Reviewed January 4, 2013 by jack
I think there is so much that you can get from the customer experience so much here. I hope you can learn from this great info. You will benefit so much from it. Shred itReport Inappropriate Review
Reviewed December 6, 2012 by shopia
I AM a fan of your blog. Thanks for sharing this information. Emaar mgf Palm GardensReport Inappropriate Review
Reviewed September 3, 2012 by Allison
The Accor hotel Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacre Coeur in Paris was one of the best hotels I've stayed in. Very clean and spacious rooms and you can wear sandals to the restaurReport Inappropriate Review
Reviewed August 8, 2012 by StacyK
We could not fault Natural Ville Hotel Managed By Accor in Bangkok. We stayed for 4 nights before heading off to the islands and we liked it so much we stayed another 2 nights when we came backReport Inappropriate Review