By IBM, Information Management
When a leading industry analyst group publishes a "hype cycle" around your primary topic, you know you have to do a little something extra to stand out from the crowd -- and stand out in a positive way. Anyone can talk; the goal should be to influence people with your talk. Around the topic of "big data," IBM was one of thousands of voices, but we wanted to be the trusted voice of authority, experience and expertise. To accomplish this, we embarked on a multi-pronged "social surround" strategy. In this strategy, we culled, curated and commented on thought-provoking and educational content being produced by subject matter experts outside IBM. We also showcased IBM's extensive cadre of thought leaders, from Research Fellows and Distinguished Engineers to product managers and client enablement staff. Throughout, we strove to educate and engage, rather than sell. As a result, our following has grown many times over, and we have been recognized by peers for our influence on big data.
At the program's inception, a Google search on "What is big data" would yield several hundred thousand results, but the first one for IBM would be on page 10 -- hardly the position for a "thought leader's" top result on a very basic question.
After a concerted cross-functional effort, we have achieved these goals:
* Listed routinely in top 2 results on Google for "What is big data," vying daily with Wikipedia for the top spot
* Named a "Top Big Data Blog/News Site"
* Named in the "Top 50 #BigData Twitter Influencers"
* YouTube views up 1152% (from 4999 to 62,603)
* IBM contributors often listed as "top influencers" in targeted LinkedIn groups
* Commissioned market research shows IBM is either 1 or 2 in share of voice across topics we target
* New IBM big data hub launched with the goal of being an objective "center of gravity" for topics and conversations around big data. In its first 2 weeks, in the traditionally slow month of August, it had over 10,000 visits and 740 subscribers to its feed
October 2011 to present